A Long and Very Overdue Rant
A recent nicotine vape has taken over the students of East Lyme High School. From the football team down to band geeks, it seems like everyone is addicted to the melon-flavored substance. It has turned from a party activity into a full-blown addiction, so much so that people bring the devices to school. The common phrases, “do you have a Phix?” echo the hallways as people try to get their next hit. They leave class, Phix hidden up their sleeve, and resort to the one place where no teachers can catch them: the bathroom. I’ve seen crowds of people huddled in the bathroom passing a vape, not caring who sees.At first, I didn’t mind the vape pen, for it was the usual people bringing it to school. I knew people came to school high, intoxicated, and was – dare I say it – relieved that this was a safer option to weed and alcohol. Suddenly, everyone had a Phix, and if you didn’t have one, you knew three people that did. The entire school kept small, rectangular contraptions hidden in their backpacks until their next “bathroom-break”. After a couple weeks, my peers were 100% addicted to nicotine, and to be frank, I don’t think they know the repercussions of that. So let me hit you with the facts:
- Each Phix pod contains the same amount of nicotine as 2 packs of cigarettes.
- Within 10 seconds of nicotine entering your body, the nicotine reaches your brain. It causes the brain to release adrenaline, creating a buzz of energy. The buzz fades quickly, leaves you feeling tired, and wanting the buzz again. This feeling is what makes you take your next hit.
- Research suggests that children and teens may be especially sensitive to nicotine, making it easier for them to become addicted. The younger smokers are when they start, the more likely they are to become addicted. About three out of four high school smokers will become adult smokers.
- You can build a tolerance to nicotine. Meaning one day, your phix won’t be enough of a high as it use to be, leading into the world of tobacco and other nicotine products.
- Inhalation of e-vapor may aggravate respiratory conditions. The water-vapor can also build in your lungs causing, pneumonia, asthma, and can lead to tumors within the lining of your lungs.
Listen, I understand why it’s enjoyable, and feel free to do it on your own time. But don’t bring it to school, and remember that nicotine use is illegal for minors, resulting in school suspension or expulsion. The Phix is used to get addicts off of cigarettes and nicotine, not to have minors get addicted. So the next time you take a hit, think off the consequences that will result later in life.